Sunday 27 January 2013

Sunday morning doodle- John Fante


Coloured digitally, drawn slightly smaller then you see before you.

Not all that sure about what Im'na do with all these portraits of authors, guess I'll put em in a zine once I have a few more, maybe just a petite 12 page thing...

Anyway... I know I mention it fairly regularly... But i can't recommend the webcomic Forming enough! It truly is one of the greatest and most ambitious comics out there... Buy the first volume from NOBROW because its a beautiful book, lovingly put together, and mr moynihan deserves t' be paid for all his hard work! But also read the story as it progresses HERE

And t' leave ye.. heres the grand Calvin Johnson... give it time and listen t' the end, T'is a great piece!- "I'M DOWN"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about some authors of the other gender!

Nervousinacape said...

ha ha! yup.... My blog's very hyper-masculine at the moment! (look at that wallpaper!!!!)

A poor excuse is that I find women extremely difficult to draw convincingly... somhow they always end up Iooking like men with breasts! I guess because I find it hard to look at them at all, let alone work out how they fit together!

I realised that an awful lot of my favorite writers happen to be male, with the exceptions of Eileen Chang and Edith Wharton and a few others...

It may be that I (somewhat ego centrically) love t' read stories of young single men struggling to deal with the world, and coming to terms with some sense of their place in it...ie coming of age stories..

I was talking with me ma today about this in particular... and we debated whether the 'coming of age tale' was for the most part a male tale, no exact consensus reached.

I would like t' try drawing Eileen Chang, I'd have t' go for a later photo, from her time in the U.S tho, as when she was young and writing in China/Hon Kong she's far too good looking t' make much of an interesting portrait!

Phew... Sorry t' chew your ear off!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments... there isn't a rule that every artist has to portray a perfect cross-section of society... and I like your work a lot! I just get tired of only seeing/hearing males all around, in films, tv, radio, books, (why do so many kids' books have mainly male protagonists, even if they're bears?) public life etc, and there are a lot of people much more culpable than you! so please excuse...

Nervousinacape said...

Not at all! I dig (with my manly forearms) what you're saying, and t'is always of interest to hear (or read) what folks think.

Most interesting of all when its about my scribblings!

ho humm