Wednesday 30 October 2013

Things I have failed to learn, whilst failing to learn tap dance. On comics et al.







A bunch of pages from the last week, still attempting to become comfortable working with pen and ink. Not so sure it's happening. anyhow, I realised that I hadn't posted any drawings in over a week, so there you go.

My thoughts on comics are many and varied. They are pretty much what I'm happiest doing in life. But at the same time I've been putting a lot of thought into why I draw them, what I have expectations of and why, whether any of that matters at all... All the neurotic bull really. 

At the end of the day, If you want to draw, then draw. That's what it should really be all about. Then money gets in the way. except it's not really in the way. It's that old ridiculous assumption of hobby vs... well, career I guess. 

Soseki wrote a nice line somewhere... something like "If an artist is unable to make a living off the publics patronage, the best he can do is to lie down and die"

But comics has no real money in it anyway, right. most successful comics artists make money as Illustrators, which then enables them to then spend their spare time making little books filled with images, for a small audience.

 Im not gonna write anything else, because I'm bored of my own tone. 

Tim Krieder writes about (not) working for free  HERE

Nick Drake's ma... a fine artist in her own right.

Molly Drake - I Remember


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

abe! keep going, just keep going. we love you and we love your work. you show us your life!

Nervousinacape said...

Thanks, I may just need to take a break for a little while though, until I can get my mind on the right track and my clumsy thoughts onto a page. I just have no patience at the moment. It'll pass.